A Guide To Wearing A Leather Jacket
Where outerwear is concerned, one of the most popular forms is the leather jacket. As one of the oldest types of outerwear, they were worn by Air Force crewmen dating back as far as World War I. For millions of women and men who still, today, choose to wear leather jackets, they are a wardrobe staple.
There are a number of things to note, however, if you're considering making what can be a substantial investment in a leather jacket. Let's take a look at some of the dos and don'ts where wearing a leather jacket is concerned.
- Create a layered look – When wearing a leather jacket, this is a helpful fashion tip. Putting one or two layers under your leather jacket is a great way to rock your Two garments that you can put your leather jacket over could be a button up dress shirt worn over a solid color T-shirt. For both women and men alike, the layered look works.
- Condition your jacket – While caring for a leather jacket is easy, it should be conditioned every few Saddle soap and other leather conditioning products are available. It keeps your jacket supple and soft but also protects it from damage in many forms.
- Go with a fitted jacket – For your unique body shape, your leather jacket should fit properly. Do yourself a favor and take some body measurements before you order a jacket online.
- Depend on your leather jacket for winter warmth – It's okay to wear that leather jacket for warmth in the winter. Even if it gets sleet and snow on it, as long as you dry it out properly, you'll be fine. Consider a removable lining so that you can wear your jacket in all sorts of weather.
- Leave it lying around wet – You're bound to get your leather jacket wet from snow, rain, etc., but afterwards, make sure it dries properly. If, over a long period of time, your jacket is exposed to excessive moisture, damage could be sustained.
- Never machine wash your leather jacket – One of the great things about leather jackets is that they seldom need professional cleaning. If you condition them on a regular basis, and care for them when they get spots or soiled, they may not need extensive or professional cleaning. However, if and when they do, there are precise instructions for leather jacket cleaning. Never, under any circumstances, throw it in the washing machine! Check the care label when in doubt.
- Avoid mixing black and brown – Though black is probably the most popular color where leather jackets are concerned, many people prefer brown leather. Here's the thing: See what you can do to avoid mixing the two at the same time. Example: Don’t wear your brown leather shoes with your black leather suit coat.
- Try not to choose faux leather over genuine leather – Start saving your money now so you can afford a real or genuine leather jacket, rather than something fake. Sure, you'll spend less money on faux leather, but it will never last nearly as long as the real thing. Let's face it – it doesn't look as nice either. Remember the old adage, "You get what you pay for."
Do You like to Wear Leather Jackets? At Taylor's Leatherwear, We've Got You Covered!
Whether you're into biker jackets, bombers, long jackets, vintage police style jackets, or something else entirely, at Taylor's Leatherwear, we've got the style you're looking for. On a budget? No worries. Check out our closeout selections. Every now and then, we place a number of awesome, desirable leather jackets on sale, sale, sale!
Before you look at leather jackets at a brick-and-mortar store or at some other online location, see what we have to offer. You will be glad you shopped at Taylor's Leatherwear first.